trees by water's edge
Silver Lake Preserve features trails through woodlands and unmowed fields, some small streams and old stone foundations throughout its 236 acres. The topography is rugged, rising in steep rock outcrops from the lake. Fishing is not permitted.

Silver Lake was known during colonial times as Horton's Pond. The Horton family operated a grain mill powered by water from the pond, which was formed by damming the Mamaroneck River. The old mill still stands today but is used as a residence independent of the park.

The site was acquired by the county in two parcels in 1924 and 1925. The northern section contains the ruins of the old Stony Hill settlement. This settlement was founded by the Purchase meeting of the Society of Friends (Quakers).

In the late 1800s and early 1900s, the Stony Hill community extended at least 26 homes and outbuildings along Stony Hill Road. At its steepest point, the road was paved with cobblestones, ending with a footpath that joined Buckhout Road. Although the park was created in 1925, the last family did not leave until 1941. Several prehistoric and archeological resources have been identified within Silver Lake Preserve.

Hover your mouse pointer over the symbol for more information.

ParkingDogs are not permitted at any time.Exercise and fitnessTrailhead for hikingStay on trailsSwimming prohibited signNature studyPlease recycleNo Fishing

  • Admission and fees: County park pass is not required for admission
  • Directions: Old Lake Street, White Plains, NY 10604
  • Park hours: Open seven days a week, 8 a.m. to dusk, year-round.
  • Phone: (914) 231-4500
  • Restrooms: None.
  • County parks map & guide
  • Dogs are not allowed.
  • Unauthorized motor vehicles, including electric bikes and scooters, are not permitted.