The 23-acre Jay property overlooking Long Island Sound in Rye is the boyhood home of New York State’s only native founding father, John Jay (1745-1829). It is part of the Boston Post Road Historic District, a National Historic Landmark and a stop on Westchester County’s African American Heritage Trail.
The 1838 Greek Revival mansion, which is the centerpiece of the property, was built by Peter Augustus Jay. The mansion is being restored and managed by the not-for-profit organization, the Jay Heritage Center (JHC). The 1907 Van Norden Carriage House is a second building being restored and serves as the JHC Visitor and Education Center.
The Jay property, originally acquired by Westchester County in 1992, is an important piece of designated parkland to the Westchester County parks system. It is an environmentally significant area that serves as the headlands of the watershed of the adjacent county park, Marshlands Conservancy. The Jay property has been owned in conjunction with New York State since 1997 and is managed by Westchester County Parks as dedicated state and county parkland. It is used for recreation, historic education and conservation purposes.
For information about hours of operation, directions and programming, visit the Jay Heritage Center Web site.