One of Westchester’s longest-running and beloved recreational programs – Bicycle Sundays – rolls on on select Sundays, 10 a.m. – 2 p.m. This year’s program is sponsored by Con Edison & New York Presbyterian Hospital and Friends of Westchester County Parks.
During Bicycle Sundays, a portion of the Bronx River Parkway is closed to cars for the exclusive use of bicyclists, joggers, walkers, scooters and strollers. The course runs from the Westchester County Center in White Plains, south to Scarsdale Road in Yonkers, a round-trip of 13.1 miles. There are many points of entry and exit along the way. Parking is available at the County Center lot in White Plains for a fee of $7.
Sundays in May, June and September
May 1, 8, 15 and 22
June 5, 12, 19 and 26
September 11, 18 and 25
Hours are 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
Bronx River Parkway from Westchester County Center in White Plains, south to Scarsdale Road in Yonkers.
Admission is Free
During Bicycle Sundays, the Bronx River Parkway is closed to vehicular traffic from Exit 22 at the Westchester County Center to Exit 4 at Scarsdale Road in Yonkers during these events.
Bicycle Sundays is presented by Con Edison and Friends of Westchester County Parks, with support from radio station WHUD 100.7 and Danny’s Cycles
Rules and Regulations:
- Bicyclists, in-line skaters, scooters, walkers and joggers ONLY; no motorized vehicles allowed.
- Walkers, joggers and slower wheeled traffic must use right lane; faster wheeled traffic must use left lane.
- Helmets are required by New York State law for children under 14 years of age, including those riding in bike trailers, and are recommended for all wheeled participants.
- New York State law prohibits children under age one from riding on bicycles or in a separate seat.
- All headsets are prohibited; this includes but is not limited to music devices and hands free cell phones.
- No skateboarding allowed.
- No dogs allowed.
- Bicyclists must obey posted parkway speed limit of 40 m.p.h.
- Children riding in strollers must be strapped in at all times.
- Children under age 10 must be accompanied by an adult.
- All participants must be off the parkway by 1:50 p.m.
- Stay alert and be considerate of others.
call Westchester County Parks at (914) 864-PARK